Monday, October 7, 2019

Release 0.2 - Week #1

Hactoberfest 2019- Week #1

For the 1st week of Hactoberfest 2019, I worked on my first open source request / project. It was quite a simple one but I was glad that my fix was merged and accepted. 

For the issue, click here
For the pull request, click here

First, the issue for this request was that the user wanted a structural change for his web application. his index.html contained his HTML code, CSS code, and JS code, all in one. He wanted to separate this coding structure to look more like this: 

-docs/
   |-src/
   |-css/
      |-style.css
   |-js/
      |-dark-mode.js
Restructure the cod. Move style/css code to css folder and html to be in index.html file and js code to js folder. 
  
Thus, the css and javascript are in external files and are called from index.html. So, the changes I made included: 

1. Taking the CSS out of the index.html and creating an external CSS file called style.css in a folder called css. 
2. Calling the css external file from index.html
3. Doing the same as Number 1 with Javascript -- Except calling it dark-mode.js under the JS file. Called the js file from index.html as well. 
4. Cleaned the code a bit. 
5. These changes were made by forking the persons repo, then cloning the repo, made the required changes and I created a branch called "Fixes - #19". 

This was a great learning experience for me because I was able to understand and finish someones request in a good amount of time. I actually asked on the issue if I could work on this issue, however, before I could get a response, I could see that people were committing the code, thus, I quickly finished the request and made a pull request. Luckily for me, the other people who worked on it forgot some of the requirements and my pull request got merged instead of theirs.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Release 0.4: Final Update (Week #3)

Release 0.4: Final Update This is the final update for Release 0.4. I completed the internal and external requests which I will list do...