Saturday, November 9, 2019

Release 0.3 - What I am doing

Release 0.3


For Release 0.3, we are required to do 1 larger external pull request - which has to be bigger than the pull requests we did in Release 0.2. Furthermore, we need to make a pull request in the classes internal project with over 50 other classmates working on the same repository.

For my external pull request, I decided to continue working on a project from Release 0.2 called, "Instances". The issue that I have decided to take on in this project is called, "Design the registration page". The requester is requiring I design the registration / sign-up page for the Instances website.

External request:click here

I am excited to work on the external request because it will give me experience working on larger projects and it will help take me out of my comfort zone because I am always looking for the easier tasks to do. 

For my internal pull request, I am working on an assigned part of the assignment that was given by the teacher. The internal pull request is involved with extracting plan text from html.

Internal request: click here

The internal request will be good experience for me because it will be my first time working with a project that is shared between 50 people. 

Here are the instructions given by the teacher:

We are building a bunch of pieces of our pipeline that will give us HTML, that is, a blog post from a user's feed. What we also need for later parts of the analysis pipeline is the ability to work on plain text vs. html.
Let's add a parsing function that works like this:
  • given some HTML as an argument
  • parse the HTML using https://github.com/jsdom/jsdom into a DOM
  • querySelector() for the element we want (maybe all of document.body?)
  • once we have that elem we can obtain it's text using elem.innerText and return that from the function
We also need tests for this, which can happen in another issue/PR. @PavanKKamra has expressed some interest in this, and he might be glad to have some others work with him on it.

The teacher also provided a way for me to start:

To get started, I would do the following:
  • being a new branch issue-75
  • add JSDOM using npm install --save jsdom
  • add a new file to src named text-parsefr.js or something
  • in your new file, create a function with this basic shape:
const jsdom = require("jsdom");

const { JSDOM } = jsdom;

exports.run = async function (html) {
  // put your code here.
}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Release 0.4: Final Update (Week #3)

Release 0.4: Final Update This is the final update for Release 0.4. I completed the internal and external requests which I will list do...